Thursday, March 1, 2012

2012 Spring Fishing & Boat Show

I'm a goal maker. It might have been evident in my discussion of the 2010 show, it might not have been. Either way, this year I set some goals for the 2012 Spring Fishing & Boat Show: find some Storm Kickin' Sticks or other lures, find some cheap waders, maybe find a new reel. Then I expanded the latter to be find a baitcasting reel.

And I was off! Working my way through the show with all these goals. Mark and I had to decide: watch IF4 (International Fly Fishing Film Festival--hence IFFFF, or IF4) or watch Dave Mercer. Ultimately, we decided on Dave, as it gave us more time for the show, and I was looking forward to seeing what he'd sell me this year. That meant that after sleeping in travelling delays, we had about an hour and a half to kill before Dave took to the aquarium stage.

Mark wanted to swing by the hunting show, which was an addition this year, or at least expanded. Guns, bows, air guns, neat stuff, but not a whole lot for me to get too keen over, as I really don't need another expensive hobby. Then, like the red sea parting, the crowd cleared and I saw it: the best fishing apparatus a man could want... at least, a coffee drinking angler. A hand-pump fueled espresso maker. Long story short though, I couldn't find a clause on my Spousal Approval Form for the acquisition of coffee making supplies at a fishing show, so I decided to defer the purchase... but someday, I might get one!

I noted the fly casting pond as we passed, and committed to returning for a few tips on my roll cast. Later that day when I did return, I was able to get some good instruction, which after re-reading the online articles I'd read on the roll cast solidified my understanding of the process and some of the key areas where I need improvement. Ultimately, as with everything fly-casting: it's all about a straight-line path of the rod tip.

I did score a pair of waders through the show. Mark pointed them out, and the sign showed an MSRP of $40, but they were on 'show special' for $25. I asked about them, and they only had size 9, so I held off. Wandering through the show, I later re-considered and decided to try them on. There seemed to be enough room for them to fit, so I bought them and we'll see how they hold up this year. I figure worst-case scenario I can sell them on Kijiji for $20, and buy a larger size at MSRP.

As for the Storm Kickin' Sticks, the whole show was a shut out, I found an 8" one, but that was it! On the other hand, I did happen across a 3-segment Live Target. It's a herring, but the general feeling is that Pike won't care. Also, after Dave's show, I mentioned to him that I'm a big fan of the Storm Kickin' Stick, and that since I can't find them, what were his thoughts on the 3-segment Live Target. Ultimately, he said they perform the same, and there's still a "kicking" action, but I think it's clear Dave's sponsorship has moved from Rapala (owner of Storm) to Live Target, so I question that advice--at least, until I see it in action.

I also picked up a 3.5" Live Target mouse. During my Pike fishing trip one of my co-anglers used a mouse and it attracted a lot of attention (in fact, I was a prick and after 3 failed bites on his mouse, I threw a Storm Kickin' Stick right over his path, kicked it twice, and caught his fish), so I was eager to get my hands on one.

Last but not least I held off on the new reel, especially the baitcasting reel after I found out I'll need a new rod too (to get the ringer grip thingy). Not to mention the benefits I learned of microguides which when factored into the baitcasting format should add quite a bit of distance to my cast and has me quite excited. I figure that'll be a 2013 addition to my tackle box, and I'm looking forward to it.

All things considered, a good show, and I'm looking forward to getting on the water!

No comments:

Post a Comment