Monday, March 5, 2012

Bait Bucket List 2012

This year I'd like to try a few different/new things fishing.


Fishing from a boatI fished from a boat in 2011 for the first time. (A sinking paddle boat with a hole doesn't count) I was looking after 8 kids on our Cub houseboat trip, so my boat fishing was limited to about 30 minutes on the last day. I'd like to get out on the water for the whole day and just relax and fish. I'm thinking of doing a charter this year.

Using less live bait this year
It's no secret that I like to use live bait. Sitting on the river's edge with a perch rig and a box of worms is a great day for me. I want to try some more active fishing this year.  My most successful year in terms of numbers of bass was 5 years ago when I threw nothing but artificial lures.

Trying more hard body baits
When I do use artificial lures I prefer to use tubes and jigs and inline spinners.  This year I am excited about try some Live Target lures and some Storm hard body baits. I'm going to work on retrieval technique and see what I can make the lures do.

Catching 2 new species of fish
I don't care what they are, or where they are, I want to try and target and catch two new species of fish this year. Learning to catch new fish will allow me to employ new techniques in my everyday fishing.

Catch a really big catfish
I've caught lots of 5-6 pound catfish in the Thames. This year I want a 15 pound+ fish. I may have to take a couple of road trips further down the Thames or out to the Grand River to catch this fish. I can't wait to see the rod straining against this monster.

Fish Toronto Harbour before a Jays game
I haven't been to a Jays game in nearly 20 years. This summer I want to take my son to a game and before the first pitch, we'll get our lines wet along the lake front. I've seen some pictures of nice fish pulled out of there.

To catch more bass this year
The last few years have been poor for catching bass.  A couple of small one here or there. (Exception: some of the big ones I pulled out in Perry Sound) I am going to target them as of June 23rd.  I've got a couple places in mind to start. Hopefully with the new lure selection and some research I'll get my fill of bass this season.

Learn and break down and clean my reels properly
Armed with online instructions I'm going to be tearing down my reels before spring hits.  I'll clean, grease and oil them and put them back together.  It should be fun and will preserve my equipment longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment