Monday, March 19, 2012

The Weather

I didn't get out fishing this weekend as I was taking my cub pack camping. A good time was had by all and we got to see lots of cool things camped next to a swamp. Several mosquitoes landed on me and it got me thinking about how this winter is going to influence the upcoming fishing season.

I imagine the biggest change will be the breeding season of the fish.  Fish have thermometers not calendars, so once the water heats up, so will the breeding. Will the trout have moved through the rivers before the season begins?  Will the bass be off their nests by later May? Will the dry winter make for very a shallow Thames River?  A few years back when we had a really dry summer, the bass fishing was awesome because they were all holed up in the few deeper sections of river. Wet wading also becomes a lot simpler.

Of course the warm winter could be no indication of the summer and it might be a cold rainy summer when the fish are turned off the bite completely.

Hopefully the nice weather continues. I hear the perch will start running in Lake Erie soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment