Saturday, February 25, 2012

Night Fishing

One of my favourite times to fish is at night.  It’s cooler, quieter and with out the other distractions you can really concentrate on the feel of the fishing. It is very relaxing.


As my friend Derek points out “why buy a sensitive rod if you’re just going to put it on a rod holder and watch it?” To some extent he’s right, I do like putting the rod aside and watching it. At night that becomes difficult. Once night while fishing out at Port Bruce a regular there and I struck up a conversation. He showed me a way of illuminated the rod tip cheaply for night fishing. You take a dollar store kids glow bracelet and use black electrical tape to secure it to the top side of your rod.  It give you illumination on the top 8” of the rod without interfering with the line. It does decrease tip sensitivity, but with you’re perching or catfishing at night, it really doesn’t matter much.


Glow stick on rod tip



You can usually get them in packs of 6 - 10 for a dollar and they last 4-5 hours each. I stocked up last when a store had them on sale. An additional bonus, is they are fun for kids to use on their rods too.

No comments:

Post a Comment