Thursday, February 16, 2012

In Anticipation of Spring

My wife and I have an agreement, from mid-April until October I can generally fish as much as I want. I usually get out 2-3 times per week and a little more in the high summer periods.  Last year I got out probably 50-60 times in June, July and August. The flip side of that is I don't fish from Thanksgiving until Easter. This is an agreement I can certainly live with and has provided me lots of opportunities to fish.

At the end of the fishing season for me, I put away my gear and get busy with other things.  My Scouting is really busy in the fall, Christmas is coming and I don't miss fishing that much.  January is just downtime from all of the busy-ness. Once February rolls around, fishing starts creeping back into my brain.  The Spring fishing shows appear on my radar and the warm winter is getting me thinking of spring. My idle time drifts to fishing endeavors, I bought a new rod last weekend, this weekend I am going to the Spring Fishing and Boat Show. I need to take my reel in to have the bail repaired. I'll be sorting my tackle soon in anticipation of early spring carp.

The closer it gets to spring the more my thoughts and energies are on fishing. I still have to tear down the reels and re-oil them, clean all of the rods, take inventory of the tackle and see what I need for the upcoming season. All of the reels need new line as well. I need to figure out how I want to transport the rods in my new truck. There are a tonne of little things to get prepared. I guess that's one of the things I like about fishing so much, it can be a simple or as complex as you care to make it.

There is only a month and a half until April and 127 days until bass season.

No comments:

Post a Comment