Saturday, February 18, 2012

Spring Fishing and Boat Show

I had a great time today at the Spring Fishing and Boat Show with Derek.  We saw lots of cool stuff and the Dave Mercer talk was entertaining as always. He was mentioning research and practice as the two most important aspects of becoming a better angler. It was refreshing to hear that over, buy this new expensive piece of equipment. Good job Dave.

I spent a fair bit of time talking to some carp fishermen. They were showing me some of the specialized equipment serious carp fishermen use. The only thing I can say is "I thought bass guys were crazy"  They were showing me 15 meter rods that you don't cast. Sure beats my bread on a hook and an Ugly Stik.

I only bought a couple of things since my budget was blown last weekend on Charlene. I picked up a LiveTarget Yellow Perch in the 1' dive model. I'm looking forward to trying it out.


I also needed some new line. I decided to go with the PowerPro Super 8 Slick in the 20lb Timber Brown.  The Thames is usually stained, so I decided on the new colour.  PowerPro has has always been good to me, so I gave the Slick 8 an shot over the Sufix 832.  I'm still tempted to get a spool of the 832 and give it a head-to-head comparison this summer.


All in all a great day reflecting on fishing and have been giving considerable thought as to the research and practice component to my hobby. Thanks to Derek for the drive down. I know he'll have an interesting post about the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment