Friday, April 27, 2012

Secret Fishing Handshake


What is with all the secrecy around fishing? Sure, there's magazines, news articles, blog posts, etc. but if you look an angler in the eye and say "what are you fishing with?" he's liable to punch you in the face, or worse: give you bad advice.

There's this operating theory that too much fishing pressure is going to reduce our sport to farming worms to be thrown into rivers. While I see the impact as a valid concern, fishing isn't the new yoga or anything like that, when I'm out on the water I see maybe a few other anglers.

From a competition standpoint, I can reason it out a little bit. I mean, if I tell you my secrets, and then you catch a 48-incher, but I only get a 24-incher, I'd be pissed. But until that happens, let's talk, about fishing, tactics, success, failure. This sport is fun, and if we don't keep the information flowing, future generations will be less and less interested in maintaining it.

No comments:

Post a Comment